Thursday, February 4, 2016

Teacher Tip Thursday


The Spider and the Fly by Mary Howitt

I was fortunate enough to attend a training by Kylene Beers and Bob Probst that was centered around reading non-fiction, but much of what we covered during the training was relevant to teaching fiction as well. I am the type of teacher who needs to jump in right away and try something out, so I went in to a 5th grade classroom this morning, and did a reading lesson using The Spider and the Fly poem by Mary Howitt. Here is a compilation of the signpost I used, as well as some other strategies to aid students in gaining understanding of the text. The signpost we used was "Words of the Wiser" because much of what we read has an over-arching moral or message embedded in it. It was a wonderful lesson, and I welcome any questions. have a fabulous Thursday.

Sketch to Stretch 
parlour

Embedded image permalink

Signpost "Words of the Wiser"

SWBS Statement
Please note that this SWBS was written by an EL who recently arrived here from China. I was amazed at what she did during this lesson, which is why I chose her work to feature here. 

Image result for notice and note
Notice and Note by Kylene Beers & Robert E.Probst

No comments:

Post a Comment