Saturday, April 18, 2015

Saturday Kid Reads

This entire post of Saturday Kid Reads is devoted to graphic novels. My kids love them, and I actually think it is a nice change from constantly reading chapter books when kids fall into a reading slump.

First up, El Deafo by Cece Bell

Loved this book! Such an awesome message for kids to hear about tolerance, differences, and ultimately, what makes us unique. Out of curiosity I found out so much about Helen Keller and Alexander Graham Bell when I was looking for information on deafness. Helen and Alexander knew each other and had a very close father/daughter relationship. He even made a watch that vibrated so that she could feel the time, instead of having to look at a watch, or listen to the chimes. Let's not forget the amazing teachers like Annie Sullivan who work with children who have unique needs, including a teacher chronicled in the pages of this book. I will definitely be using this one for a lesson! 

Next up, Ghostopolis by Doug TenNapel

My son insisted that I read this book when he finished it. I'll have to admit, I was reluctant at first. The cover doesn't really do anything to entice me. I am thrilled to tell you that despite my reluctance, it turned out to be a great read. If you have a son about 10 years or older, this book might be a more mature follow up for the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. Kids love those books, but this book does have a much less humorous (though there is humor in it) tone than the Kinney series. Fantasy and realism all in the same book. My 12 year-old was a fan!

Rounding up the pack is Sisters by Raina Telgemeier


I have not read this one, but my daughter loved this book. She has a picture she drew of the cover in her room. Though this is not Raina's first graphic novel, she has others, this one lived up to the hype. Being a big sister is never easy, and sometimes you learn the hard way. Told with a mix of humor, and real stories about families that kids can relate to will provide the perfect weekend read for your 8-12 year old. 

Happy Saturday Reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment