Thursday, October 10, 2013

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

What can I say? I loved it! 
I'm not sure if many of you know this, but I met my husband online. I was in college, and my typical behavior of procrastinating until the last minute actually led to the best thing that ever happened to me. I was assigned a project for my theater class which required "internet research".  That may not sound like a big deal to those of you who have Wi-Fi, and a connection that doesn't use flippin' dial-up. Back in the day we used to have to plug our computers into a phone jack and dial up the internet. It was a process that took about 3 days. You needed to warn everyone in the house you were "going on the internet", you know, just in case they tried to make a phone call. Seriously, it took forever to connect to the internet, and if anyone decided they needed to call someone, well, then you had the pleasure of starting all over again. So, I decided to begin the internet research at 8:00 the night before this "internet research" project was due. At the time, I lived in the sorority house, and we had a computer that we could access for this type of thing. One problem- it was password protected. The student who possessed the password was not in the house, and wouldn't return for several hours. I thrust myself on my bed in despair, and my roommate Erika must have felt sorry for me, because she offered up her boyfriend Jeff's computer. We hopped in my car, and drove over to Jeff's apartment. He had already been online, so he allowed me to just jump right on the computer. When I asked if he wanted me to sign out of his user name (because a freakin' crapload of his buddies were interrupting my research to IM him), he replied, "no". Ummm, okay I thought. A little snafu in my plans of distraction-free research, but hey, this isn't my computer. He can tell me to stay signed in. Ding! Ding! Ding! Instant messages pinged for the hour I spent doing my research. I ignored them all. Exhausted, and ready to go back to the sorority house, I asked Jeff, "do you want to me to log off? A bunch of people were IM'ing you (total 90's lingo you young'uns)." Erika pulled up the first one, and here's how the rest of my life got started:
Nickyson: What's up bitch?
2100Teri: Excuse me?
Nickyson: This isn't Jeff, is it?
2100Teri: No, this is Melody
Nickyson:Melody?
2100Teri: I'm Erika's roommate
Nickyson: Huh, never heard of you
2100Teri: Never heard of you either.

He and I typed until my fingers cramped, until Erika and Jeff were fast asleep, and until I couldn't wait to see his face. We typed all night long on AOL Instant Messenger, and I knew I needed to met him. To see this guy for myself. I had to love him. I do love him. Nickyson is now the father of my children, and my husband of 12 years. This guy that I met in almost the same way the fictional characters in Attachments met. So maybe that's why I loved it so much. You just need to read it. It's so, so good.
Here's to happy endings. For all of us.    

No comments:

Post a Comment